NAIL FUNGUS – A COMMON CONDITION
As many as 14% of Americans suffer from unsightly nails that prevent them from feeling comfortable with bare feet or toes in public.
Nail fungus, clinically named onychomycosis, is the infection of the nail and nail bed that causes a number of changes to the appearance of the nail. The treatment of toenail fungus has previously been very difficult due to the location of the fungus both underneath and inside of the nail.
Nail fungus infections often originate from moist environments – such as gym locker rooms, hotel bathrooms, or pools. Risk factors include aging, heavy perspiration, and humid environments. With our area being a humid, warm environment, nail fungus is quite common amongst the population.
New Look Houston’s laser fungal nail treatments can help.
IN DIFFICULT-TO-REACH LOCATIONS
The most common form of onychomycosis is distal subungual onychomycosis usually caused by Trichophyton rubrum, a dermatophyte that invades the nail bed and underside of the nail plate.
Due to the location of the infection, topical creams are frequently ineffective for many patients.
Alternative treatment with oral medications can lead to health risks, need liver enzyme testing, and are only effective in a small percentage of users.
Because nail fungus is difficult to treat under the nail plate, many patients undertake years of ineffective treatment at great expense, all the while suffering in silence and hoping for something better to treat their yellowed, brittle, thickened toenails.
Nail fungus affects not only the darkened, cloudy, brittle, thickened appearance of the infected nails themselves but also the confidence of the patient.
Nail fungus can cause people to avoid wearing sandals, showing off a pedicure, or feeling confident at the beach. Especially in a warm climate like Houston, wearing closed-toe shoes instead of sandals can cause excess foot perspiration, perpetuating the fungal infection.
Hiding your toes in sweaty, closed-toe shoes because of their unsightly appearance will only cause the fungal infection to get worse. The most effective way to break the cycle of toenail fungus is to use the only treatment that can penetrate through the nail to the nail bed: laser toenail fungus treatment.
THE TRUTH ABOUT HOME REMEDIES FOR TOENAIL FUNGUS
Home remedies for toenail fungus treatment are widely cited across the internet but we want to give you the facts about these “too good to be true” remedies.
Remember, our Houston laser fungal nail treatments are safe, chemical-free, and over 90% effective.
TEA TREE OIL
Tea tree oil is an essential oil produced from the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia, an Australian plant. While this home remedy has been shown to have antiseptic and antifungal qualities, according to the National Institue of Health is “only 18% effective.” This study required patients to apply tea tree oil twice a day for 6 months – hardly worth the effort for such a low success rate.
OREGANO OIL OR OLIVE OIL
These oils have similar properties to tea tree oil and have the added benefit of softening the nail and cuticle. Soft nails resist cracking better, which keeps fungus, bacteria and other particles from entering the nail. While these home remedies can provide some results to a limited percentage of the population, you have to apply it twice a day for six months and deal with no guarantee of any results.
Listerine is a commonly recommended remedy for nail fungus. The antibacterial qualities in this product and others like it can kill bacteria and fungus on the skin, but the active ingredients are too large to pass through the nail and penetrate into the nail bed where the fungus in your toenails lives.
Vinegar is popularly listed under home remedies to combat toenail fungus. Vinegar is an acidic liquid which can inhibit the growth of fungus by changing the pH balance of the affected area. Assuming you can soak your feet for 5 minutes twice a day for 12 months you could see a result, however, there are no scientific studies showing that this is a safe or effective home remedy for nail fungus.
At New look, we believe that by combining the right treatment with a proper care and minimal hassle is a far better option, our removal of Toenail fungus is fast, safe and painless with great results so you can get your confidence and comfort back with no downtime required.
EQUIPMENT WE USE:
AN ADVANCED LASER FOR TOENAIL FUNGUS TREATMENT
New Look is proud to be a leading user of the Astanza Revolution laser. We were a clinical testing location for this Q-switched Nd: YAG laser system, and we’re proud to share our expertise with our customers using this state-of-the-art device.
A POWERFUL SYSTEM FROM AN INDUSTRY LEADER
Astanza Laser specializes in Q-Switched laser technology, which is why we trust their lasers for our clinical operation. The Revolution offers effective wavelengths, best-in-class power, and a system built for reliability and safety.
Unlike other manufacturers that use low-powered diode lasers, the Q-switched Revolution produces powerful pulses of in the megawatt range for a period of nanoseconds. It’s this powerful, heating pulse that makes a key difference in destroying the dermatophytes that are part of onychomycosis (toenail fungus).
HOW THE REVOLUTION LASER TREATS TOENAIL FUNGUS
Our Houston laser toenail fungus removal with the Astanza Revolution works by focusing laser energy through your toenail into the nail bed to kill the fungus. The wavelength of light produced by the laser affects only the fungus while leaving healthy cells alone. For a fraction of a second, the laser energy heats up and breaks down the fungal infection as we pass the laser across each toenail and toenail matrix. The nail is not harmed during this process, and you will only feel warmth as the laser passes over the toe.
At New Look, our laser has been FDA approved for safe and effective treatment of toenail fungus. The wavelength of light that is produced is very similar to natural light and provides for a fast and safe procedure.
PROVEN EFFICACY AND PERFORMANCE
New Look is Houston’s leader in nail infection and nail fungus treatment because we are committed to achieving the best results – that is why we choose to use the Revolution laser.
In fact, clinical studies using the Revolution system have shown the highest rates of success and fungal clearance than any other laser system currently available on the market. In a randomized study of almost 100 subjects over three to twelve months, 95% of subject cases observed “significant nail plate clearance” with an average clearance of 56% or greater of infected areas with our Houston laser fungal nail treatments.
What To Expect
Our complimentary consultation process is easy and painless, your technician will speak to you in one of our private consultation room’s
Your technician will evaluate your toes (and/or fingers) and show you a quick video about the treatment process.
Your technician will then access the severity of your particular case and explain the aftercare steps you will need to take in order to avoid reinfection. Your technician will be able to determine an approximate amount of treatments you will need and from there will go over pricing and payment options.
Should you decide to go ahead with the treatment, we will book you an appointment or in some cases get started right away if that’s what you prefer!
Once in the room, and comfortable on the treatment table a quick picture of your toes will be taken to track your progress.
The technician will hand you a pair of safety goggles and prepare the laser device. Next, the technician will conduct 2 full passes to the right foot’s 5 toenails and then proceed with the same process on the left foot’s 5 toenails. The patient feels only a slight heating sensation on the nail. In fact, most don’t feel anything at all! Once all 10 toes have been treated the technician will spray Dr. Blaine’s Antifungal spray directly onto the toes.
From there, the procedure is done and you are good to go on with your normal daily routine with no downtime.
Laser treatment for toenail fungus is highly effective, but patients achieve the best results when they are committed to fighting the infection before and after their appointment as well.
Aftercare practices are incredibly important to prevent reinfection, but there are certain steps you can take to get the most out of your appointment beforehand.
Please follow these simple tips to prepare your nails for treatment:
- Clip your nails as far down as is comfortable before your appointment. This preparation will allow you to remove as much of the infected nail as possible.
- CClean your toes and exfoliate your feet to remove any dead skin that may be harboring fungus.
- Remove nail polish thoroughly before treatment. The laser energy cannot pass through nail polish. Even clear nail polish must be removed to achieve ultimate results
- Bring new socks for after the appointment. You do not want to put a treated foot back into a sock that may contain fungus. New, cotton socks are best because of their moisture-wicking properties.
Following these steps ensures the most effective treatment and decreases the likelihood of a reinfection.
At New Look Houston, we aim to provide every possible resource for our patients and if you have any questions about what you can do before your appointment, please call our friendly knowledgeable staff for more information.
After your laser toenail fungus treatment, your laser specialist will discuss this list of post-treatment instructions in detail with you.
It is very important to follow the aftercare instructions listed here because, even though our laser procedure is highly effective at killing fungus, a fungal reinfection is always possible. We will destroy the fungus under your nails, but it is up to you to follow the aftercare rules to keep it from returning.
The simple actions and habits below will greatly improve your chances for remaining fungus free for life. You can resume your normal activities immediately. Our procedure is designed so that you can walk, run, hike, swim or do any activity you are used to doing the same day. You might notice some redness around the toenail which will go away within 24-48 hours, but you shouldn’t experience any pain after the procedure.
- Normal activity may resume immediately.
- Apply an antifungal spray with one of the following active ingredients: (Undecylenic acid 5%, Clotrimazole 1%, Tolnaftate 1%, terbinafine 1%, miconazole 2% or butenafine 1%) Spray the tops of the feet. Apply up to two times daily to clean, dry feet.
- Spray the insides of your shoes with an antifungal spray or Lysol at the end of each day or use an ultraviolet shoe sterilizer (SteriShoe) as directed.
- The best product we have found to kill odor-causing bacteria and fungus is the SteriShoe, which is a device that shines an ultraviolet sterilizing light into your shoes for 45 minutes, usually overnight. This is a highly effective way to ensure your shoes don’t re-infect your toes. We can show you how the SteriShoe operates when you visit our office and you can purchase one at your appointment.
- Try not to wear the same shoes every day. Shoes need to be sprayed every time there is wear.
- Disinfectant showers/tubs with bleach.
- If your feet tend to sweat a lot, use an antifungal powder or antifungal spray with baking soda.
- Buy new nail clippers and files since your current pair may be infected. Metal nail care instruments need to be cleaned with diluted bleach or boiling water.
- Wash all fabrics (socks, bedding, etc.) your feet come in contact with regularly in hot soapy water, bleach or color safe bleach immediately following the laser treatment. Change bed linens daily or wear a clean pair of socks to bed every night.
- Wear shoes at all times, even at home. Especially, in public places, hotel rooms, showers, gyms, and indoor swimming pools.
- Avoid nail salons that do not clean instruments properly or use disposable liners for pedicure bowls.
- Dispose of all nail polishes since the polish may be infected.
- Wash your toes and feet daily, ensuring that you dry them completely – especially between the toes.
Before and After Photos