About dermaplaning and when its needed, benefits, etc…:
About the treatment:
Dermaplaning is a quick, safe and simple procedure that gently and effectively removes the outermost layers of dead skin cells, leaving the skin immediately smooth, supple and vibrant. In addition to providing a deep yet gentle exfoliation, it also removes the fine vellus hair (peach fuzz).
Benefits of Dermaplaning including stimulating the production of fresh, young skin cells, while helping your skin to breathe easier it also allows active skin care ingredients to penetrate into the deeper layers resulting in healthier skin.
Treatments are gentle and take very little time so are ideal for your busy lifestyle. With no downtime, you’ll return to your favorite activities right away. Enjoy the confidence that comes with having healthy, younger looking skin easily.
Equipment we use:
This procedure is performed by an esthetician trained in the use of a sterile surgical blade designed specifically for this purpose.
Our Esthetician will evaluate your skin and determine if you are an appropriate candidate for this procedure.
Our Esthetician will also let you know how to prepare and what to expect from the entire treatment. Lastly, she will go over the aftercare guidelines and make sure you understand the process and expectations.
Our esthetician will cleanse and prepare the skin prior to the treatment. A sterile surgical blade will then be used and stroked at a 45-degree angle against the skin. This process can take 10-20 minutes. Once complete a moisturizer and sunscreen will be applied.
- Please discontinue products containing any exfoliating agents (retinoic acid, tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, astringents, etc.) 24-48 hours before treatment.
- A history of herpes or cold sores may require a course of anti-viral medication pre and post-treatment.
- Your provider will recommend appropriate products to help enhance results and/or minimize potential side effects.
- You may experience slight redness and swelling, which should resolve within 24 hours.
- Mineral makeup can be worn immediately following treatment.
- Avoid heat, saunas, hot tubs and sweaty activity for 24 hours; this includes the exercise of any kind.
- Avoid products containing any exfoliating agents (retinoic acid, retinol, tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, astringents, etc.) for 24 hours after treatment.
- You may resume your regular skin care routine 24 hours after treatment.
Will my facial hair grow back coarse?
No, Unlike terminal hair such as that on the head, underarms & legs; vellus hair grows back at the same rate and texture as before.
Is there any downtime?
Dermaplaning is one of the best methods of exfoliation that has zero downtime – a major plus.
Some clients experience mild erythema (superficial reddening of the skin), but it subsides quickly. Besides that, and the radiant skin recently achieved, no one would ever know a service was rendered.
What are the benefits of dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning allows products to penetrate more readily into the deeper layers of the skin, making it an excellent add-on to a variety of facial treatments.
Dermaplaning also helps soften the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, minimize the appearance of pores, improve elasticity and texture and allow makeup to be applied flawlessly.
What’s the difference between dermaplaning and shaving?
- Dermaplaning is more aggressive than shaving.
- Dermaplaning uses a surgical, disposable blade reducing the chance of skin infections.
- Dermaplaning cannot be performed at home.
- Dermaplaning blades are singular, whereas razors are usually stacked with 2-3 blades.
- Dermaplaning is a skin rejuvenation treatment intended to remove dead skin cells and improve fine lines, wrinkles, and improve skin tone and texture.
- Dermaplaning should not be used to get rid of terminal hair (such as beard hair).