Our esthetician will take a look at the areas you are concerned with and determine if you are an appropriate candidate for this procedure. She will let you know how to prepare and what to expect from the entire treatment. Lastly, she will go over the aftercare guidelines and make sure you understand the process and expectations.
Here’s what you can expect from a SkinPen treatment:
- A plan for optimal results. Your technician may recommend a course of procedures based on your individual goals. Maintenance of your procedure might require multiple treatments.
- A comfortable procedure. Based on your needs, your technician will likely apply a topical numbing agent to the treatment area.
- A short procedure time. The treatment will likely take 30 minutes to one hour.
- A mild sensation. Most patients report feeling only the slight vibration of SkinPen during the procedure.
- Minimal post-procedure effects. The skin will appear slightly pink to red immediately post-procedure, similar to a mild to moderate sunburn. Additionally, the most common treatment responses experienced were dryness, rough skin, tightness, redness, itching, peeling, discomfort, tenderness, and burning. These conditions resolved over time without any further complications.
- Sun exposure and/or usage of tanning beds, including self-tanning products, must be avoided for a minimum of 24 hours before and after treatment, preferably 1 week. Treatment within 24 hours of prolonged sun exposure (natural sunlight, artificial tanning or sunless tanning products) may result in hypopigmentation (white spots) or hyperpigmentation (dark spots) that may not clear for several months or may even be permanent. A micro-needling treatment will not be administered on sunburned skin.
- Accutane and any other photosensitizing medication should be discontinued for a period of 6 months prior to receiving treatment and should not be used during your course of treatment.
- No area to be treated should receive any type of chemical peel for 2 weeks prior and after treatment.
- Use of Retinols, Retin-A, Tretinoin, Glycolic Acids, Kojic Acids, Citric Acids, and Hydroquinone must not be used 1 week prior to or after treatment.
- Waxing and/or use of chemical depilatories must be avoided for 2 weeks prior and after treatment. Shaving is allowed immediately before treatment and 48-72 hours after treatment as long as there is no skin irritation.
- You may not be pregnant for this treatment.
- Notify your provider of any tattoos, including cosmetic tattooing, in the vicinity of the area to be treated. Tattoos must be avoided because they may fade from the treatment.
- If you have a history of cold sores, we recommend taking an antiviral prior to treatment.
- During the course of your treatments, notify our staff of any changes to your medical history, health status or personal activities that may be relevant to your treatment.
- A sunburn-like effect is normal for 1-3 days. You will look and feel sunburned after the treatment. Severity of redness will depend on how aggressive the treatment was and how sensitive your skin is. The skin may feel tight, dry, swollen and sensitive to the touch. The treatment area may appear darker and the darkened skin may flake off within 1 week. Darker skin tones may darken prior to lightning.
- Products and regimen: Only use recommended products for the first 3 days post-treatment. Do not use any skin care products for 6 hours post procedure. Microchannels have been created in the skin and using skincare products not recommended by your esthetician could result in unexpected complications. Wash the area gently with tepid water only. Apply a soothing, healing moisturizer as often as needed for the first 3 days. Products are available for sale in our lobby.
- Use of Retinols, Retin-A, Tretinoin, Glycolic Acids, Kojic Acids, Citric Acids and Hydroquinone may be resumed 2 weeks post-treatment.
- Drink at least 6 – 8oz glasses of water to maintain hydration for the next 7 days.
- Exercise should be avoided for 24-72 hours.
- Avoid direct sun exposure for at least 2 weeks post procedure. A broad spectrum, physical block sunscreen is recommended daily. Sunscreen should not be worn for the first 24 hours.
- Avoid unnecessary contact of the treated areas to prevent secondary infection for a full 24 hours.
- Change to a clean pillowcase to avoid infection or irritation.
- Clean off any item that will come in direct contact with the treated area. Some examples include sunglasses, prescription eyeglasses, cell phones and home phones.
- Results will be gradual. Collagen formation takes 21-28 days and will continue to improve for up to 6 months after your final treatment.