Laser Fungus Removal
Our complimentary consultation process is easy and painless, your technician will speak to you in one of our private consultation room’s
Your technician will evaluate your toes (and/or fingers) and show you a quick video about the treatment process.
Your technician will then access the severity of your particular case and explain the aftercare steps you will need to take in order to avoid reinfection. Your technician will be able to determine an approximate amount of treatments you will need and from there will go over pricing and payment options.
Should you decide to go ahead with the treatment, we will book you an appointment or in some cases get started right away if that’s what you prefer!
Once in the room, and comfortable on the treatment table a quick picture of your toes will be taken to track your progress.
The technician will hand you a pair of safety goggles and prepare the laser device. Next, the technician will conduct 2 full passes to the right foot’s 5 toenails and then proceed with the same process on the left foot’s 5 toenails. The patient feels only a slight heating sensation on the nail. In fact, most don’t feel anything at all! Once all 10 toes have been treated the technician will spray Dr. Blaine’s Antifungal spray directly onto the toes.
From there, the procedure is done and you are good to go on with your normal daily routine with no downtime.
Laser treatment for toenail fungus is highly effective, but patients achieve the best results when they are committed to fighting the infection before and after their appointment as well.
Aftercare practices are incredibly important to prevent reinfection, but there are certain steps you can take to get the most out of your appointment beforehand.
Please follow these simple tips to prepare your nails for treatment:
- Clip your nails as far down as is comfortable before your appointment. This preparation will allow you to remove as much of the infected nail as possible.
- CClean your toes and exfoliate your feet to remove any dead skin that may be harboring fungus.
- Remove nail polish thoroughly before treatment. The laser energy cannot pass through nail polish. Even clear nail polish must be removed to achieve ultimate results
- Bring new socks for after the appointment. You do not want to put a treated foot back into a sock that may contain fungus. New, cotton socks are best because of their moisture-wicking properties.
Following these steps ensures the most effective treatment and decreases the likelihood of a reinfection.
At New Look Houston, we aim to provide every possible resource for our patients and if you have any questions about what you can do before your appointment, please call our friendly knowledgeable staff for more information.
After your laser toenail fungus treatment, your laser specialist will discuss this list of post-treatment instructions in detail with you.
It is very important to follow the aftercare instructions listed here because, even though our laser procedure is highly effective at killing fungus, a fungal reinfection is always possible. We will destroy the fungus under your nails, but it is up to you to follow the aftercare rules to keep it from returning.
The simple actions and habits below will greatly improve your chances for remaining fungus free for life.
You can resume your normal activities immediately. Our procedure is designed so that you can walk, run, hike, swim or do any activity you are used to doing the same day. You might notice some redness around the toenail which will go away within 24-48 hours, but you shouldn’t experience any pain after the procedure.
- Normal activity may resume immediately.
- Apply an antifungal spray with one of the following active ingredients: (Undecylenic acid 5%, Clotrimazole 1%, Tolnaftate 1%, terbinafine 1%, miconazole 2% or butenafine 1%) Spray the tops of the feet. Apply up to two times daily to clean, dry feet.
- Spray the insides of your shoes with an antifungal spray or Lysol at the end of each day or use an ultraviolet shoe sterilizer (SteriShoe) as directed.
- The best product we have found to kill odor-causing bacteria and fungus is the SteriShoe, which is a device that shines an ultraviolet sterilizing light into your shoes for 45 minutes, usually overnight. This is a highly effective way to ensure your shoes don’t re-infect your toes. We can show you how the SteriShoe operates when you visit our office and you can purchase one at your appointment.
- Try not to wear the same shoes every day. Shoes need to be sprayed every time there is wear.
- Disinfectant showers/tubs with bleach.
- If your feet tend to sweat a lot, use an antifungal powder or antifungal spray with baking soda.
- Buy new nail clippers and files since your current pair may be infected. Metal nail care instruments need to be cleaned with diluted bleach or boiling water.
- Wash all fabrics (socks, bedding, etc.) your feet come in contact with regularly in hot soapy water, bleach or color safe bleach immediately following the laser treatment. Change bed linens daily or wear a clean pair of socks to bed every night.
- Wear shoes at all times, even at home. Especially, in public places, hotel rooms, showers, gyms, and indoor swimming pools.
- Avoid nail salons that do not clean instruments properly or use disposable liners for pedicure bowls.
- Dispose of all nail polishes since the polish may be infected.
- Wash your toes and feet daily, ensuring that you dry them completely – especially between the toes.