Every patient at New Look Houston receives specific instructions on how to take to care for their treated skin after each treatment. It’s a good idea to know what kind of things you’ll need to do before starting the process, too.
Lasers applied to the skin will create a temporary wound. Typically, your skin responds by swelling or possibly bruising. If your skin is more sensitive, you may experience blistering or scabbing in the first three days following the treatment. Blisters may be small or quite large. It’s important to avoid popping them and let them heal on their own. Apply ointment to reduce itching and promote the healing process.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when preparing to treat the area for the first time:
- Elevate the area to reduce inflammation
- Don’t do anything that can cause the area to get overheated, including strenuous exercise, hot showers or saunas
- Wait at least 2 hours after treatment to shower. When you do shower, avoid direct water heavy water pressure on the area. Do not soak the wound by taking a bath or by doing activities such as swimming or sitting in a hot tub.
- Reduce itching to the area by applying ointment such as Aquaphor or Neosporin daily
- Stay hydrated. This helps the healing process
- Do not pick at any scab that forms or allow the skin to become scraped, as this can cause infection and scarring. Avoid shaving near the treated area until it is completely healed
- You may take Tylenol to help with any pain. Do not take medications such as aspirin, which is a blood thinner and can interfere with the healing process.
- Sunscreen application is important to avoid discoloration or scarring! Apply 25 SPF or higher sunscreen everyday to the treated area after the tattoo has healed, even if clothing covers the treated area.
- Massage the treated area 5-10 minutes every day once the treated area has healed. This will help ink absorb.
Do you have any questions about the care of your tattooed skin before you start treatment? Call New Look Houston for a free consultatio at (713) 352-0629 .